I’m gonna let you in on a little (not so secret) secret… Self care is one of my keys to running a growing business and finding work-life balance! Throughout my coaching sessions, I’ve seen that work-life balance is a common pain point for many small business owners and creatives.
While I have specific ideas and solutions to balance out those pain points that I offer in my one-on-one coaching sessions, I also have one REALLY important tip to share with you today… Self care must be a priority for entrepreneurs! That’s right, you must take care of you before you can serve others. It really is as simple as that! So, today, I’m sharing some of my personal favorite ways to practice self care as an entrepreneur.
- Read a book! — Whether it’s personal development, an autobiography, or even a romance novel, take time to intentionally slow down and read. I also LOVE audiobooks for when I am on the go but need to retreat and simply listen. Remember, fill your cup up first so that you can serve others in your life and business!
- Listen to a podcast! — Some of my favorite podcasts are For The Love, The Shauna Niequist Podcast, The Lucky Few, The Real Female Entrepreneur, and The Goal Digger Podcast. I also love being able to catch up on our church sermons via podcast if we were out of town and missed the previous Sunday’s service!
- Go on a walk! — My favorite warmer weather activity is to take a lunch time (and evening if my schedule allows) walk with Georgie. The fresh air and a little sunshine do wonders for my soul! Plus, I tend to get cooped up in my home office, so I love taking time to intentionally step out of my office and enjoy the day and a little quiet time.
- Get a massage! — I am a firm believer in massage therapy! While you may not be able to go on a regular schedule, I wholeheartedly recommend making time at least every few months for a massage. You won’t be sorry you did!
- Treat yourself to a mani or pedi! — Yes, yes, yes! I always tell my hubby that because people see my hands all the time as a photographer, I need my nails done. Plus, this act of self love and self care simply makes me happy. It’s a little thing, and yes, used with disposable income, but I appreciate how it makes me feel.
- Have a glass of wine! — Need I say more? Sometimes there is just nothing more relaxing than unwinding with a glass of wine after a day of work.
- Take a bath! — Draw a warm bath, and hey, maybe even listen to a podcast or read a book while you’re at it!
- Do yoga! — I am a yoga lover. Yoga grounds me and makes me FEEL GOOD. I feel balanced and prepared and in tune with myself when I practice yoga. It’s one of my favorite self care practices!
- Write down your gratitude! — This is one that I want to be better about, so I’m holding myself accountable by sharing it with you! It is empowering and humbling to take time each day or at least a few times a week to write down what you’re grateful for… Practicing self care in this way allows you to open your eyes and see your world in a different light.
- Turn off your phone! — I know, I know, you’re running and business and NEED that phone. But you know what? Your own self or your family just might need you more in some moments. Unplug, turn off your phone, and just be.
Friends, here’s your reminder today that you are strong, beautiful, and loved! I know that sometimes it’s hard to give yourself love, but you are worthy. And you are amazing! I hope these self care practices are useful to you, too. Today, I challenge you to do something for yourself!